Sep 20, 2008

Bhaktapur

Lovely little medieval town. Guy gave me a lift in from the bus stop for free. Costs 750 rupees to enter the old town, but got in at night and avoided check points for the next few days. Stayed at Shiva Guest House, looking straight out at Durbar Square. Woke to the sounds of pigeons cooing and bells.

View from my windows, literally. Pretty darn nice when lit up at night, too:


Other views of the main square:


On the way to Taumadi Square, chariot wheels and gear for some festival. Chariot festivals are huge in India and Nepal. The English word juggernaut comes from the Sri Jagganath Rath Yatra (basically Lord Jagganath's chariot trip), where the God is placed on a huge chariot and pulled through the crowds at Puri and other places. I was at Ahmedabad for this, there were maybe a million people in the streets? In Puri several people were killed in a stampede.


Small shrine lit by devotional candles, little boy watching:


I don't know what these are. Guardian statues? If they look kinda Chinese/Tibetan, it's because Bhaktapur was a major part of the old trade route to China from India.


Big guardian lions, I guess:


Kid riding an elephant at the base of Nyataoda Temple in Taumadi Square. The temple is huge and impressive in person, but doesn't photograph well - the overhanging arches cast shadows on most of the building.


In other news, I've got another man-cold (the worst kind), the Cats lost the grand final, and I missed my Bombay friend because I was sick in bed. Yay.

9 comments:

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

Looks like you picked a good year to avoid the Grand Final... it was a great game, the Cats fought hard but just couldn't put it together on the day. Hope you have a good rest and recover from your man-cold soon.

Anthony Rochester said...

hey Alexander, I finally got around to catching up on reading all of your blog to date. You go to krazy places~ I'm surprised you even care about the boring old footy game..

Alexander said...

Hey Ant, that's quite an undertaking. Thanks!

Cabernet Leather said...

When I read your blog Alexander, I often imagine you sitting on top of an elephant, or a temple or some such thing with a laptop, typing in the latest update. That's all part of the internet I suppose.

Alexander said...

Currently I'm sitting on top of a small mountain in the village of Sarangkot overlooking a lake and the Himalayas. It almost seems like I'm cheating to be on the net.

Anthony Rochester said...

Do you dress like an Indian now or do you still look like that photo of you sitting in your room?

Also, how do you say "internet" in Indian?

Anthony Rochester said...

Also, Christoph is moving out of the winter palace so there's a room available soon if you want it

Alexander said...

I look exactly the same, with slightly different clothes that I'd bought for the trip. I did buy some pyjamas, a dhoti and a lungi though. But it would be a bit wierd to dress like an Indian in Nepal.

Internet is internet in India.

S'ok about the room.

Anthony Rochester said...

house telephone handset number 4 still says POS on the back...