May 11, 2008

For my birthday...

My mum kindly put me up in the Taj. It's the biggest hotel in..., well I blogged about it here so you can read the link.

The Salvation Army is right next door, the cheapest and the most expensive place to stay next to each other. You can look out from the broken windows in the shower in the Salvo's and see people moving in air conditioned luxury in the Taj.

Today*, I was one of them.

Of course, I couldn't celebrate alone, so I had some friends over.


Here's a before shot of the room.


I should have taken an after shot as it was a mess. It was truly a pleasure rolling around that bed, giving them all our fleas and bed bugs, before going down to wash our scabs and bites in their pool.


There was a pretty good view too.


Because it was my birthday, the hotel sent up a chocolate cake and a bunch of roses, how nice. It was a wierd experience sleeping and having to open the balcony door to let some heat in.

Unfortunately being May Day and also Maharashtra Day, the state was dry. No alcohol anywhere, even the guys selling drugs on the street looked offended when we asked. So, we ended up drinking in a bar at the Taj. Expensive, but nice. Could someone remind me to stock up if I'm here next year?

Of course we stripped the room bare, so now people from the Salvo's are swanning into the Taj in their fluffy white dressing gown and slippers, like a low-rent Hugh Hefner, trying to get free access to the pool.

The next day was a nice reality check though, the Salvo's is kind of like the Winter Palace in mood and theme. Here's what I woke up to:


Thanks for all the birthday wishes, it was a good one.



*Honesty note: 'Today' might not actually be 'today'.

No comments: