Apr 24, 2008

Today I went to the Taj...

No not the Taj Mahal, the Taj Mahal Hotel. It was built by a Parsi after he was refused entry to the previous most luxurious hotel in Bombay for being a 'native'. It is insanely opulent. I was eyeing out the toilets, thinking that a family of 20 could happily live in there. A man turned the tap on for me, squirted some soap into my hands, and gave me a towel when I'd finished washing my hands. There's a pool. I ordered an expresso, a chocolate brownie with a scoop of ice cream, and a bottle of mineral water. It came to 900 rupees (only $27, but I could eat for 10 days on that). It's one of those places, like the slums, that you just don't take pictures of while you're there. Maybe cause it's uncool, maybe cause it's more of a state-of-mind experience.

5 comments:

Anthony Rochester said...

That's 'espresso', not 'expresso'..

Anonymous said...

I dont get it...is it nice or not???

Alexander said...

Exactly.

Anonymous said...

i still don't get it

Alexander said...

Neither do I.