Apr 15, 2008

Trains, Planes and Automobiles

(Stock photo. I haven't seen this happen on a train yet)

It's impossible to go hungry or thirsty in India, as long as you have money I guess. Even on trains, at every stop people will come on selling tidbits, full meals, water, chai, whatever.

Travelling on trains is also a great way to meet people. People are curious about what you do at home, why you're here, are you married, etc... and will happily share bits of their lives.

I met an Interpol agent with some bullet wounds, a guy who invited me to stay with his family in Tamil Nadu, and another guy that shared with me the details of his arranged marriage.

Now read on...

4 comments:

Edwina said...

Speaking of weddings...remember there are two young Australian girls counting on you to provide an opportunity for them to don saris and attend a big Indian wedding...

Alexander said...

Well, as described in the next post, if they want a real Indian wedding they should ask my mum to find a nice Hobart girl for me.

Edwina said...

How about if your cousin finds you a nicer Sydney girl...?

Alexander said...

Well, that is a hometown girl I guess. Sure, just tell her I'll be an indefinite period of time away, ok? And bill her dad for the wedding.