Apr 21, 2008

Tips on haggling in India No. 2

Sometimes bargaining can be fun. As long as you know what something should cost, and you're in the mood for it, it's a nice little game to respectfully play with the seller. It's a game, and there are rules, and you get better and enjoy it more as you go along. Basically, they start too high, you start too low, then you move towards what it should be. Like cricket, this can be over quickly or in 5 days. I'm getting pretty good at the short version of the game, but it takes time to build up stamina for a test match.

Mind you, I'm feeling prety good about myself for getting a good price for a shirt on the street without walking away hating myself or the seller, but then I left it in a cab. But I still feel good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mate, keep firing the tips. They are really getting me somewhere here in Bombay. Tell me where you are going to be in the next month, we should catch up.

PS: I told the hotel manager the story of you at the factory and he reckons it should be a movie, what do you think?