Aug 20, 2008

Keating in fine form

I feel sorry for those who missed out on the Keating era. Here's some highlights from his book launch:

He anticipated Mr Costello's memoir would be "as dull as he is". "I mean, in Labor Party terms, I hope he does [become Opposition leader] because it makes it a better pitch for us," Mr Keating said yesterday. "But in national terms to have such a nong - and he is, in policy terms, he is a mouse - back, just speaks volumes about the Liberal Party."

He did not refrain from criticising the federal opposition, saying former treasurer Peter Costello's nickname used to be "thallium ... a slow-acting dope''. It would suit Labor for Mr Costello to become the next Liberal leader because he was a "low-flying person'', Mr Keating said.

Mr Keating declared that when he was in charge, he always had a clear message to take to the public. This had not continued with the "post-me Labor party''.

To clarify, Keating called the Labor party since 1996 "post-me"! Awesome!

His advice to Mr Rudd was to craft a message around the need to boost productivity, cement Australia's position in Asia, and become a republic.

Sounds sensible enough, but he just can't help himself...

"Also to say goodbye to QE2,'' he added.

1 comment:

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

I heard some of this... made me smile like I'd just been re-acquainted with an old friend. You've gotta hand it to the man...