Aug 22, 2008

The Last Post...

So today is my 6th month anniversary of being out of Australia. Woo. I've blogged the hell out of the last two days, and with the exception of all the family stuff that happened in Gujarat, and some non-specific topics, I've got you up to the point I left India and arrived in Nepal. Since I've been a lazy bugger in Kathmandu, I don't have much to say about that yet.

Just a few little tidbits to tidy things up:

I've updated this post to include video.

In Rajasthan and Gujarat I've seen ads for this clothing company:


...as well as 'Bumchums'.

Here's a vid of some FILTH (Failed in London, Try Hong Kong) showing how to get the glycerine out of a light Indian beer:



And here's some recipes I've picked up but haven't tested:

Mango Lassi: 1/2 kg Alphonso mango pulp, 6 cups boiled and cooled water, 1 litre fresh curd made into plain lassi (I don't know how to do this yet), 1/2 cup sugar syrup, 1/2 cup red strawberry syrup. Blend. Serve chilled with rind of lemon

Parsi Chai: Tea, sugar, milk, mint leaves, lemongrass, boil together in some manner.

Seafood Masala Fry - Pepper, lime, lemon salt, red chilli powder, pinch of tumeric, one tbs. oil. Marinate for 2 hours. Fry, season with coriander.

Chicken Masala - Add a teaspoon butter, (mustard) oil, and pinch of cinnamon on low heat to pressure cooker. Add paste made of onions, garlic, tomatoes, black pepper, licoricy cardamons & green cardamons (there is a difference!), ginger, coconut powder, chilli powder, tumeric, sage powder, salt, and lemon and curd to taste. Cook with lid loose for 1/2 an hour slowly. Add chicken, close lid, and wait for 4 bells (this was how it was explained. I guess wait until it's cooked?). Season with coriander leaves a minute before finished cooking.

And finally, an affectionate picture from the last hotel I stayed at in India:



7 comments:

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

You're a crazy blogging fool lately! Not going to comment on all of these posts, this one has to count for most of them. Australia's still here, you haven't missed much (and have gained a lot more on all your travels, so it seems). But Australian Idol starts on Sunday night, so it's time to come home.

Alexander said...

I know Pabs, I feel like I just handed in a Term Paper (do they still have those things?). Every now and then I check Google News Australia and everything seems reassuringly the same. I'll follow Idol from a distance, are you going to join Nick and Kate watching it with Benny and Matt and Ant? I'll be back for Christmas, I promise. Or my birthday.

Nick G said...

Hey Alex, where are you going now? No more India? I know these are prob. obvious questions with readily accessible answers in the body of the blog. I guess what I want to say is g'day, how are things?

Alexander said...

Hey Nick, up to Kathmandu in Nepal. My posts got kind of mixed up chronologically, I think I mentioned it earlier (what, you mean you didn't read it?)

I've been here for a while and been a very lazy bugger too - I could have walked to Everest and back by now. Instead I walk to the restaurant across from my hotel.

Things are pretty good, how are things wit you?

Mead said...

No Idol grouping yet, that I'm aware of, but Neat's been watching it every day.

Cabernet Leather said...

Awesome. I've flogged those recipes and I'm going to try them all.

Alexander said...

Welcome Pryderi. Go ahead, perfect them, then tell me how they work.