Oct 20, 2008

Dhulikhel

About two ours bus ride east of Kathmandu is Dhulikhel, with supposedly one of the best views of the Himalayas in Nepal. Most of the time when I was there it was cloudy (it was still monsoon), but in the mornings and evenings I got glimpses of the mountains behind the clouds. They were pretty impressive - I'd imagined them to be maybe half as high as they were. You had to look up, then keep looking up.

I stayed in a small village about half an hours walk outside the main tourist drag (filled with holidaying Nepalis and Indians). The people there were Tamangs, originally from Tibet. A family had recently set up a guest house with help from an Australian NGO. They were still cementing it, but it was lovely and quiet. The mum cooked in an outside hut in traditional style, over a small fire.

Here's the pics:


View from my windows:


Pot plants in my lawn:


Traditional cooking - awesome knife tool. You cook cross-legged on the floor, putting pressure on the blade with your knee to keep it stable, then slice things into a bowl. Surely some adjustment could be made to attach it to a bench:


A closer look:


The naughty kid who showed me round the village, including the Australian-made toilet and sewerage project:


One day one of the builders brought his pet fox for me to see. Isn't he a happy fox?


Here's some more local wildlife:



Here's some pics for my friend Benny.

A man and his duck:


A woman and her duck. This was on top of a bus - the only way to travel in Nepal.


Passive agressively, I'm still waiting for more suggestions below.

1 comment:

Ben Walter said...

Thanks for the pictures of ducks. That is one happy fox, huh?