Oct 25, 2008

Pokhara

Ah, the third 'P'.

Imagine a small city in a valley, next to a lake. Imagine the Annapurnas soaring behind. I'm in Pokhara, which is a kind of heaven. It's touristy, but touristy in a totally western way which is even enjoyable - you can get a good steak and chips - cool bars, nice clothes, clean hotels. You pay for all this, of course, but it's comparatively reasonable.

There's kind of a beach hippie culture going on, but it's nicely tempered and not as annoying as at Goa. You can go boating on the lake, with the mountains reflected behind, or even paragliding from a nearby hillside village. I spent a lot of time in bars, working on my pool game. The time of year was almost perfect - the monsoon clouds were beginning to clear, sunsets ripening and the weather warm.

My friend Jon from Bombay, who is now working in India with his girlfriend (of cheerleading fame), also came up to Nepal for a Visa run and we spent a few days together:

That's a cigarette, folks.

The hotel room, the morning after:

Nearby Devi's Falls:


I went back to Pokhara, but more on that later.

6 comments:

Cabernet Leather said...

Wow Pokhara sounds like a nice, cruisy place. Those photos are pretty damn good too.

Word Verification: "rarban" sounds kind of Indian, perhaps?

Cabernet Leather said...

Oh and what happened to the cheerleaders in the end? Did you get them their money?

Alexander said...

Well, they were travelling buddies who ended up involved in all sorts of entertainment events in Mumbai (I got to go to a few weddings!), it was good publicity for them.

The guy rang us after the story, he was really pissed off, a lot of talk but no money, Lebowski.

I've got a photocopy of the cheque that shows he got paid though, and his real name.

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

We have no idea about real mountains here in Tasmania/Australia, do we? Alex, can you PLEASE go to Delhi and offer your bowling services to Ricky Ponting? I'm sure he'd give you a go.

Alexander said...

Nope Pablo, and they're even bigger up close.

I'm on the job, going to the match today to see what I can do.

Alexander said...

So essentially I was partying with cheerleaders here. Another one off the list:

http://wheresalexander.blogspot.com/2008/05/for-my-birthday.html