Nov 27, 2008

Mumbai terror attacks - I'm ok

I got into Delhi last night.

There are approximately 150 million Muslims in India, and relations between the 80% Hindu population have been strained ever since partition. Muslims, on the whole, are treated rather badly here, and there have been periodic bouts of sectarian violence and reprisals on both sides. It seems one of Mumbai's outbursts of religion-fuelled violence has happened again.

Several groups started shooting, taking hostages, and lobbing grenades around popular spots in Mumbai. The heritage wing of the Taj Mahal Hotel (Mumbai's premier hotel, and where I stayed for my birthday) is on fire, Cafe Leopold's (a popular institution taken over by tourists, and where Shantaram was written) was attacked, as was the Metro theatre - a beautiful 1940s art deco cinema, the central train station, hospitals, and various other locations. Terrorists in various places were asking for British and American citizens.

The Indian Mujahaddin has claimed responsibility, which means it may be a while before I venture into the old (and more interesting) Muslim section of Delhi.

Update:

Added to this post, Metro Cinema is near where Pheroze lives, and I'll have to check back on the friendly Colaba cop when I get back.

Update 2:

And I believe Chabad House was where I celebrated Passover with the dead Rabbi and his family, some Israeli tourists and some Indian Jews (who have been here a long, long time).

Update 3:

Picture link one and two

Update 4:

Two sides of the Taj debate: tails (how I felt the first time I visited the Taj) and heads (how I felt after staying there)

4 comments:

Cabernet Leather said...

Scary stuff!
Glad to hear you're ok.

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

What an awful situation. I figured that we would have heard by now if you weren't ok, but it's good to know for sure.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,
Glad to hear you're ok...I think I'll head over! I'm arriving in Delhi with my friend Ella on the 15th Dec. Will you still be around?
We'll be travelling around that area and Rajasthan for about 5 weeks. Would be great to catch up and share a laugh, drink, adventure. Your cousin Laura (who cheered you on when at the age of about 8 you attempted Karate chops on Will, who preferred wrestling techniques, in a fighting ring made of skanky old mattresses.

Alexander said...

Hi Laura,

I hear I have a new cousin to see when I get back.


I'm not sure if I'll be here then - it's a possibility though. Have you been before? Rajasthan is beautiful. I'd love to welcome you here and show you the ropes etc...

Send me an email. Alex, who devised an intricate message system with string to go from your room to Will's that never worked. I'm guessing the karate chops lost out.