Mar 3, 2008

For those that came in late...

I took a 16 hour sleeper bus to Udaipur. That's a bus with bunks, basically. It was very nice except the driver was a speed demon whose mission in life was to overtake everything he could, and now he had the vehicle to do it.

Udaipur is one of those 'Venice of the ...' cities. It is very pretty, kind of like a Greek fishing village with arches etc... This is the first thing I saw getting off the bus:

It's also cheaper than Mumbai, here's what you can get for 400 rupees (that's about $12) in Mumbai:


And here's 400 in Udaipur, with toilet, shower, and a mattress that works:


The view from my room:

View from the restaurant on top of the hotel:


The city from the other side of the lake (ghat):


Cow deciding to take a rest at the middle of an intersection:


City palace:


Tiled room in the palace:


Random temple:


Look closer, money changers in the temple!


Procession going past my taxi:


Pretty Indian girl (I think she's already married Julia):


All in all, Udaipur is a lovely tourist town. It's pretty much heaven for my mum, with all the jewelry and silverwork. There are touts and scammers sure, but coming from Mumbai they seem pretty quaint. Udaipur is kind of like Strahan compared to Hobart, outside of the tourist areas there's not much going on. It's very nice, but so's Maine.

Things I've learnt: A few words in Hindi go a long way.

Status of poos: Still runny but solidifying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An elephant in a Greek fishing village?? Udaipur to Mumbai as Strahan to Hobart? All those gorgeous things to buy? All those lovely scenes? I love it! Watchit! Here I come! (With lavatory paper).

Alexander said...

They have lavatory paper, like I said, it's pretty much set up for western tourists.

Anonymous said...

Oh, New England!

Anonymous said...

i don't care if shes married...go for her...make her ditch her husband and get with you...I WANT TO GO TO AN INDIAN WEDDING!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!