Mar 28, 2008

Thought this might amuse everyone...

It's an email from my mum:

I love your posts! The photos and the commentary. And was Fas to see Gosh's camp. Oh lord, not for me!!!

But darling, you must get your head around apostrophes. The first par has "it's biodiversity" , "it's lush green rainforest" ,"it's a heap of Russian ..."

This is wrong. With the apostrophe before the s, it is an abbreviation of IT IS. This is not what you are saying, you should be using "its" as a possessive.

Later, you write "It's the symbol for toilet.." This is correct, because you mean 'It is the symbol". Also, "It's actually been raining.." You can write this because you mean 'It has'.

And a spelling mistake - rejuvenate, not rejuvinate.

Honestly, you must get your head around its/it's because you keep making mistakes which means you don't understand whether it's possessive or an abbreviation (which is was in this sentence!).

Yes, yes, I make mistakes too, and I don't seem to be as good at spelling as I used to be. But at least you know I will tell you when you make such glaring errors, not note them, as others might, but not tell you.


Lots of love,

K bye :)

Mum

Comments?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Get it right, Pos.

Anonymous said...

Spot on Inscrutable!

Alexander said...

MPostrophe, I have the power to ban you...

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

I think its great that you're mum takes such an interest in you're spelling and punctuation. Their both really important.

Alexander said...

Pablo...

(shakes head)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that commas and apostraphes were only in use as little as 200 years ago. I know a truly facinating fact. One of the mnay wonders you can find on www.grammarfacts.com/punctuation/history