Mar 6, 2008

Jodhpur

I took an overnight sleeper bus from Udaipur to Jodhpur which rocked up around 4 am. A guy at the bus stop tried to get me to go to his hotel, but I said no cause that's a common commission tout scam. Eventually got a taxi to the general area where the hotels are, but everything was still dark and a little creepy, and the same guy turned up. Finally I thought ok, I'll let him take me to his crummy place, pay the extra commission rate, get some sleep and get a new hotel tomorrow.
It was called the "Cozy Guest House" which immediately rang some alarm bells. But we got there and it was cozy, and it was his hotel, and it was fairly cheap, and he'd got up really early just to show people to it, and man did I feel bad. These are smaller towns in Rajasthan, I have to re-calibrate my trust levels.
This was the view from my room when I woke up:




I went for a walk around the markets and it was a lot less touristy than Udaipur, which was a bit of a relief. Similar architecture to Udaipur, see what I mean about like a Greek fishing village? All the buildings are white-washed (in this case blue-washed), open plan, very cool and breezy. The floors are made from marble inlay:

Tomorrow I'm going on a camel safari. Yes I'm a despicable tourist.

By the way, this image was for a temple back in Udaipur. These carvings go all the way up, about the size of a three story building.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodhpur...I'm pretty sure thats the name of some sort of horse riding equipment, so why is a town in India named after it? Also how long does the post from India take...chessie wanted me to ask that one. Also i has my cerival cancer vaccinations 2day (it was worth it though..i got a snake after). it was highly painful and girls were fainting and spewing all over the place. on the upside our teach bought in Krispy Creme doughnuts today and i had 4. Are you sure your in india cause that really really looks like Greece. So which has been your favourite town so far? Sorry this is more like an e-mail but i really can't be stuffered to open up outlook now. julia xox

Anonymous said...

Camel safari? Uh oh, you will be sore! But I'm jealous ....

Anonymous said...

Hi Pos. I'm in Tasmania and we're all high on silly fumes. Bet you wish you were here!

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

Oh, that marble inlay flooring is pretty, and I bet it would be great to roll around on (mildly abrasive- good for scritching). And I bet all that concrete (?) would be lovely and warm to roll around on and toast one's furs on when it gets warmed up by the sun. Sure does look like Greece. Say hi to the camels from me!